Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Inspiration and Cliches

I'm watching Eat Pray Love on (stolen) Netflix Instant right now.  I don't care for the movie so much, but I do love the book...or I did, before I lent my copy to a friend and never saw it again.  But before the book went MIA I read it several times.  It inspired me.  And right now, even though it doesn't really compare, the movie is inspiring me.

Sadly, this almost makes me feel bad.  Being inspired by the movie where Julia Roberts travels like a free spirit and eats plates upon plates of pasta seems so cliched.  And I hate feeling like a cliche.  Writing a blog makes me feel like a cliche.  The fact that I bought a straw fedora from Urban Outfitters makes me feel like a cliche.  Sometimes even my love of art makes me feel like a cliche.

I guess the two important questions here are: 1. WHAT, exactly, is so cliched about these things?  And 2. Why do I care?  Aren't I supposed to be taking the "f*ck it!" mentality that I wrote about earlier?  If something inspires you to be the person you want to be, does it matter where that inspiration came from?  And even if you aspire to be one big cliche and that's what makes you happy, that should be okay, right?

The thing is, I really did love that book.  It didn't make me want to run away and get my fortune told by a medicine man and find love in a play-by-play recreation of Elizabeth Gilbert's life (although it did for a lot of women) - but it did make me want to get out of my dead-end job and do something great for myself.  And you know what?  I DID it.  After reading that book at a low point in my life, I bought a ticket and went to France and Nepal and, yes, Bali.  And it was amazing.  So who cares if that impetus came from a bestselling icon for middle-aged American women?  It inspired me to live a dream of my own creation...

Ulu Watu, Bali

Me, in one of the ancient meditation caves at the Holy Water Temple.

Inland Bali.

Buddhist stupa in Kathmandu, Nepal.

Prayer wheels at Sawayambunth, Nepal.

View of the Himalayas from Nagarkot.

Friends from all over the world I met in Kathmandu!

La Tour Eiffel, old friend.

And right now, cliches be damned, the movie is inspiring me to break free and not fall victim to the mundanity of everyday living.  Not that I really consider that a problem now, but, you know...I have been wanting to visit Turkey.

And you know what?  I LIKE that straw fedora.  F*ck it!

No comments:

Post a Comment